The decision to join the Basilian Fathers is a commitment to dedicate one’s life to the service of God and the people of God. It is a decision which cannot be taken lightly, but which can lead to a meaningful and fulfilling life and place in the community of God.
Anyone who might want to share our path should have some of the following characteristics:
- A candidate will normally have completed–or be in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree. Normally, but not always, he will not have completed his 40th birthday. He must also have been a baptized Catholic for at least five years.
- A candidate must have a strong faith in God and devotion to the Church, as well as a desire to participate in education and evangelization. This includes a focus on the poor and marginalized, work which lies at the heart of the Basilian Congregation.
- Also important are a desire to pray and to grow in a life of prayer, the desire to proclaim the message of Jesus Christ through the Church, and a love for the Eucharist.
- The community expects its members to have a personal conviction that the work and life of the Basilians is the best way for them to achieve their own happiness and to further the work of the Church in the world.
- A candidate should have some knowledge of the meaning and implications of the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience and a strong desire to live them.
- Since community life is also very important, each member must be able to live and work with his fellow Basilians, and he must have an ability to contribute to community living by his work and goodwill.
- A candidate must be capable of completing a bachelor’s degree and capable of completing seminary courses in theology and related subjects.
- A candidate must give evidence of emotional and physical health as well as an ability to relate to others and to work with them in the service of the People of God.
- Since the Basilian ministry is in many locations, a candidate must be able to travel and possibly relocate to serve the people of God
Learn more about the Basilian Way of Life or to begin your Basilian journey, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Becoming a Basilian | Videos | The Formation Process | Our Locations